Tuesday, January 22, 2008

retail therapy

We get a year-end summary of every transaction on our main credit card. I wanted to see just how much we spent at our local Walmart. I was amazed that at that one store alone we spent almost $3,000.00. I do realize we buy a lot of household necessities such as laundry detergent, and toilet paper, but there are so many times I go in there with the intention of buying one item, and coming out with a cart full. Plus I was amazed at how many weekends we would go there 3 or 4 times.
I bought Suze Orman's book on women and money. I was pleased to see that for the most part we are on a good track. We don't have credit card debt, and on a good road for retirement. John and I aren't huge material beings. Of course if you come inside our house you might think otherwise, but it isn't packed full with things. I think my overall plan for this year is to cut back on the mindless trips to Walmart (and sometimes Target) and save a little more. So, the challenge is on. Let's see how well I stick to this plan.

1 comment:

Lisa Clarke said...

I think just being aware of it is a great start to adjusting your shopping habits. Good luck :-)