Friday, December 15, 2006

In loving memory of my mom, Susan Jane....



How can it be 2 years since my mom passed away. Some days it seems like just yesterday she was here in my life, and other days it seems like longer than 2 years. I hate to say her death was easy to accept because to an outsider it sounds callous. But her last 12 years were difficult, and a blessing. She outlived the original prognosis of 9 months, but she was never the same after her bouts with brain cancer. I was prepared for her imminent death, and knew it would come. It wasn't easy getting the final call at 12:30am on December 16. I certainly cried a lot of tears that night, and seeing her in the coffin at the funeral home was hard. I also found it hard watching her coffin go into the ground.
Those first few months were sad as I passed some birthdays, and her birthday without her. I think though I can tell that 2 years have passed as John John's memories of her are fading. I keep a picture of him with her (when he was a newborn) on my fridge, and we look at picture albums together. I also look at my niece who will be 2 in a few weeks, and 2 years have their impact. I also know this must be bittersweet for my sister who is pregnant with her first child, and know that my mom will never get to see her grandchild. So, on this bittersweet day I pay respect to my mom. I miss you and miss hearing your voice. Love you mom.
Ironically these pictures were taken the second last Thanksgiving my parents had with us. It's also ironic because my father passed away 8 months after mom.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Big hugs Jenn!
I know you miss her :(